Dangers of Tinsel in Cats

With Christmas just around the corner, most of us are thinking about shopping for our loved ones and decorating our Christmas trees with angels, bells, popcorn, lights, and garland. We also enjoy the “sparkle” that tinsel can add, unaware of its potential danger to cats. Cats love to eat things they shouldn’t, and unfortunately tinsel is no exception to the rule. Foreign objects such as tinsel can become lodged in the intestine, causing an obstruction which requires surgery to remove. Signs to watch out for include lethargy, vomiting, loss of appetite, or constipation. If you suspect your cat may have ingested something, contact your veterinarian immediately. To diagnose a foreign body, your veterinarian will recommend radiographs. Sometimes a dye material such as barium is required to diagnose the obstruction. After stabilizing the patient with intravenous fluids, the veterinarian will carefully remove the obstruction under general anaesthesia. After surgery the patient may need to stay in the hospital for 2-5 days.
With careful planning, including avoiding potential foreign body ingestion, your holiday can be a happy one for you and your cat.
Happy Holidays from all of us at Golf Glen Veterinary Clinic!

Sharing is caring!

Comments are closed.